To consider the latest report on the performance of key services and corporate projects.(15 minutes).
The Committee considered a report and supporting Appendix, set out at Agenda pages 49 to 81, which provided performance management information in relation to the Council’s activities.
Andrew Moulton, Head of Governance and Improvement Services, introduced the report and stated that the majority of performance indicators were currently on track and were rated Green. A number of indicators were currently rated Amber or Red as follows:
· % children who are currently subject to a Child Protection Plan (CPP) who are subject to a CPP for a second or subsequent time within 24 months (Red);
· % of Looked after Children living within 20 miles of their home (Amber);
· Cumulative % of the eligible population aged 40 to 70 who received an NHS health check (Amber);
· HIV diagnosed prevalence per 1,000 people aged 15 to 59 (Amber);
· Integration with Health (Better Care Fund) (Amber);
· Reduce the education gap at KS2 Level 4 between disadvantaged and other pupils for Reading, Writing and Maths (Red);
· % of Secondary Schools with a current Ofsted rating of “good” or better (Amber);
· Number of affordable dwellings completed (annual) (Red);
· Kgs of residual household waste per household per annum (Amber);
· % of household waste re-used, recycled or composted (Amber);
· Debtors collection (Amber);
· Assets programme (Amber);
· ICT 2016 (Amber);
· Number of work experience opportunities for NEETs between 16 and 24 years (Amber).
The Committee considered each section of the report in turn. Councillor Pauline Jorgensen answered Members’ questions relating to the performance indicators covering her portfolio.
Members raised the following comments and questions in respect of specific indicators.
Agenda page 56 – HIV diagnosed prevalence per 1,000 people aged 15-59 – Members requested benchmarking data to enable comparison with similar Councils.
Agenda page 59 – Number of cycle trips on the A329 corridor (LSTF project investment area) – in light of the data for 2013, 2014 and 2015, previously circulated to the Committee, Members queried the target, the lack of a traffic light description and commentary.
Agenda page 60 – Reduce the education gap at KS2 Level 4 between disadvantaged and other pupils for Reading, Writing and Maths – Members sought clarification on the reasons for the widening gap and queried the use of jargon in the commentary.
Agenda page 66 – two household waste indicators – Members asked for clarification on the measures being taken to bring performance back to Green status for both indicators.
Agenda page 69 – Journey times on key routes across the Borough - in light of the data for 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2014/15, previously circulated to the Committee, Members queried the lack of a traffic light description, direction of travel and accurate commentary.
Agenda page 71 – Revenue Budget Monitoring Forecast Position – Members asked for clarification on the setting of the Target of +/- 1% of the Revenue Budget.
Agenda page 71 – Capital Budget Monitoring Forecast Position – Members queried the traffic light status in light of performance against the target, following the termination of two major schemes.
Agenda page 72 – Debtors collection – Members sought clarification on the amount of money actually recovered.
1) the Council Plan Performance Monitoring Report – Quarter 3 (2015/16) be noted;
2) additional information relating to the issues raised by Members on specific performance indicators be circulated outside of the meeting.