Venue: Civic Offices, Shute End, Wokingham, RG40 1BN
Contact: Tricia Harcourt Senior Democratic Services Officer
To receive any apologies for absence.
There were no apologies received.
Declaration of Interest
To receive any declaration of interest.
There were no declarations of interest.
There are a number of references to the Members' Update within these minutes. The Members' Update was circulated to all present prior to the meeting (copy attached).
Recommendation: Conditional Approval, subject to Legal Agreement.
PROPOSAL: OUTLINE PERMISSION FOR: Demolition of buildings and phased redevelopment of Arborfield Garrison and adjoining land for: Up to 2,000 new dwellings (including up to 80 units of extra care housing). District centre comprising a foodstore up to 4,000 sqm gross with up to a further 3,500 sqm (gross) floor space within Classes A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, B1, D1 and D2 (with residential above - Class C3)), and transport interchange, village square, car parking, servicing and drop off area. Up to a further 1,500 sqm (gross) floor space within Classes D1 and D2. Neighbourhood centre to provide up to 300 sqm (gross) floor space within Classes A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, B1, D1 and D2, with parking/servicing area. Secondary school for up to 1,500 pupils (Class D1) including sports pitches, flood-lit all-weather pitch, and indoor swimming pool and parking areas. Up to three-form primary school (Class D1) with sports pitch and parking areas. Associated phased provision of: car parking; public open space including sports pitches, informal/incidental open space, children's play areas including multi-use games area (MUGA), skate park, community gardens/allotments; landscaping/buffer areas; boundary treatments; new roads, footpaths, cycleways and bridleways; sustainable urban drainage systems, including flood alleviation works at Arborfield Garrison and adjoining land
PART 2 - FULL PERMISSION FOR phased development of: Creation of two new areas of Suitable Alternative Natural Greenspace (SANGS) (In the north-eastern part of the application site ("Northern SANGS") and at West Court ("West Court SANGS") including car parking areas, path/walkways, fencing and associated landscaping; re-use of existing MoD gymnasium for sports/community uses/centre (Classes D1/D2; new roundabout junction to A327 Reading Road; junction improvements to Langley Common Road, Baird Road and Biggs Lane; junction improvements and new access at Biggs Lane/Princess Marina Drive; re-use and improvements to existing site accesses from Biggs Lane.
Applicant: Secretary of State for Defence and Crest Nicholson Operations Limited (Arborfield Garrison Landowners’ Consortium).
The Committee considered a report about this application set out on Agenda pages 5 to 146.
The Committee was advised of the policy background, the matters for consideration and the application’s progress. There had been 220 objections from residents and the transport assessment and the master plan had been amended as a result.
The Members’ Update included details of:
· Amendments to conditions 1, 2, 4 to 7, 9, 14,17, 18, 39, 40, 63, 66, 67, 69, were also recommended;
· The removal of condition 47, as this had been merged with condition 40;
· Additional conditions relating to the time limit for implementation of matters detailed in full, the density in the District Centre, Highways matters replacement of facilities, the provision of replacement grass pitches, facility design and floodlighting.
· Additional informatives relating to the Technical Design Guidance and a requirement for a Natural England Development Licence were recommended;
· A letter received from Reading University asking for there to be a contribution from this application to the Eastern Shinfield Relief Road; and the impact upon Reading; WBC’s position was that the impact of the Arborfield ... view the full minutes text for item 111.
Recommendation: Conditional Approval
Proposal: Construction of a 1500 place secondary school with
associated sports facilities, parking provision and access roads within SDL site on Land at Arborfield Garrison, Biggs Lane, Arborfield RG2
Applicant: Wokingham Borough Council.
The Committee considered a report about this application, set out on Agenda pages 147 to 201.
The Committee was advised that the Members’ Update included details of:
· clarification about the school building having a sprinkler system and fire hydrants available, prior to the completion of construction of phase 1;
· The applicant had also confirmed that it anticipated that the heavy ground works, super structure and façade to the North elevation of phase 2 wing would be completed within phase 1. This would considerably reduce the risk of any noise, dust and fumes from plant or equipment in that area and would be fully detailed within the Contractor’s’ proposals and developed CEMP;
· Following public representation, the Local Planning Authority had sought clarification from the applicant on the design of the building in respect of ventilation, thermal comfort and acoustics. These were all building regulations matters;
· Clarification on the principles of the technical aspects of the building design had also been sought.
Pam Stubbs, representing Barkham Parish Council, spoke in support of the application.
Brian Grady, representing the applicant and Lloyd Watkins, representing the Parents’ Reference Group spoke in support of the application.
Councillor Ian Pittock, Deputy Executive Member for Children’s Services, spoke in support of the application.
RESOLVED: That application F/2014/0001 be approved, subject to the conditions set out on Agenda pages 148 to 161.