Recommendation: Conditional approval subject to legal agreement
Proposal: Full planning permission for the Science Park Creative Media Hub comprising the erection of film stages and associated workshops and office space; and ancillary uses including equipment stores, café. Formation of associated access, decked and surface parking, and landscaping at the Thames Valley Science Park (TVSP).
Applicant: Shinfield Studios
The Committee considered a report about this application, set out in agenda pages 19 to 124.
The Committee were advised that the updates contained within the Supplementary Planning Agenda included:
· Updated resolution to recommend grant of planning permission subject to notification of the Secretary of State of a potential departure from policy in the development plan;
· Updated recommendation A;
· Clarification to the report with respect of biodiversity net gain of 10%;
· Insertion of plan numbers under condition 2;
· Insertion of the word ‘ancillary’ in front of the word ‘offices’ within condition 3;
· Insertion of the word ‘out’ after the word ‘carried’ within condition 7;
· Insertion of the words ‘for monitoring purposes’ after the word ‘review’ within condition 16;
· Insertion of the word ‘the’ after the word ‘for’ and insertion of the word ‘thereafter’ after the word ‘maintained’ within condition 17;
· Deletion of condition 34 and subsequent renumbering of later conditions;
· Insertion of plan reference for newly renumbered condition 38;
· Correction to report that the ditch had been approved on 12th October 2021;
· Insertion of letter of objection from Iceni on behalf of the residents of Cutbush Manor, Cutbush Barn and badger Cottage and officer responses;
· Additional consultation responses received after publication of the report;
· Insertion of text in relation to the procedure of referring this application to the Secretary of State;
· Clarification that Wokingham Borough Council (WBC) has no set parking standards for studio use as this was not envisaged when the parking standards were set up, however five other comparable sites had been used for the parking calculations;
· Confirmation that the heritage assets cited in paragraph 113 were Grade 2 listed;
· Confirmation that landscaping details would be secured by condition 26 and evergreen planting could be secured if required.
Mark Cockram, neighbour, submitted a statement in objection to the application. In his absence, the statement was read out by Angus Ross. Mark stated that he supported the overall application for the Shinfield Studios and recognised the benefits that it would bring to the local area. Mark stated that he was however objecting to the positioning of the very large office A building which would be in close proximity to the Grade 2 listed buildings. Mark added that the office building would be approximately 50m from Cutbush Manor, and the office building would dwarf Cutbush Manor in a similar context to the Queen’s Head pub and the Civic Offices in Wokingham. Mark stated that the buildings of Cutbush Barn, Badger Cottage and Cutbush Manor were all over 400 years old and constructed on timber frame and brick, built directly on to London Clay with no foundations. Mark was of the opinion that the potential structural impact to these buildings ... view the full minutes text for item 44