To receive an update on the Berkshire West New Safeguarding Arrangements.
Sherrie Newell, Board Manager, Local Safeguarding Children's Board (LSCB), updated the Board on Berkshire West’s new safeguarding arrangements.
During the discussion of this item the following points were made:
· Wokingham, Reading and West Berkshire LSCBs had merged into one Board in July 2018. The three LSCB’s had worked together as an early adopter of the new arrangements and had published the Berkshire West Safeguarding Children Partnership arrangements in March 2019.
· Although schools were no longer statutory partners a S151 group and a Schools group had been established in each local authority area.
· Councillor Halsall asked what the driver had been for working in partnership. Sherrie Newell commented that each local authority had considerable safeguarding duties and individually were quite small.
· There was pan Berkshire learning and policies which helped to ensure a consistent approach.
· The LSCB was working with the Community Safety Partnership. Councillor Hare commented that it was important also to remember vulnerable adults.
· Sherrie Newell commented that there would be an increased focus around scrutiny and partners holding each other to account.
RESOLVED: That the safeguarding agenda in Wokingham be promoted.