Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To seek approval to commence the Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) process on the Gorse Ride estate as an option of last resort to enable the Council to secure third party land interests within the planned timeframes required for development where negotiations prove unsuccessful
1) the considerable progress already underway to support the rehousing of tenants and homeowners on the Gorse Ride estate be noted;
2) the in principle use of a CPO to acquire all property interests (the extent of which is shown indicatively edged red on the plan in Appendix 1) required to deliver the Gorse Ride Regeneration Project be authorised;
3) Council Officers continue to negotiate the acquisition by agreement of all third party interests in the land in advance of confirmation of a CPO;
4) the Director of Corporate Services, in consultation with the Executive Members with responsibility for Housing and Finance, be authorised to take all necessary steps required for the making, confirmation and implementation of the CPO, including securing the appointment of an external specialist CPO adviser to prepare all necessary documents required to support this process, including statements of reasons and requisite statutory notices;
5) the Director of Corporate Services, in consultation with the Executive Members with responsibility for Housing and Finance, be authorised to make General Vesting Declarations (GVDs) under the Compulsory Purchase (Vesting Declarations) Act 1981 and / or serve notice to treat and notices of entry (if required) following confirmation of the CPO.
Wards Affected: Finchampstead South;
Reference Number: WBC1068
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Ongoing Project Steering Group and
Council project webpage, community newsletters and letters to affected residents.
Contact: Zareena Ahmed-Shere Email: Zareena.Ahmed-Shere@wokingham.gov.uk.
Report author: Zareena Ahmed-Shere
Publication date: 31/01/2019
Date of decision: 31/01/2019
Decided at meeting: 31/01/2019 - Executive
Effective from: 09/02/2019